WordPress Database Management
For every blogger, managing and maintaining a database is one of the most important tasks that must be done. A database contains all the important pieces of information that are used by the blog or website owner. When this aspect of a blog isn’t well taken cared of, a number of problems could arise. WordPress offers a plug-in that could help you manage your database with ease.
The WordPress-Database Manager (WP-DBManager) lets users to optimize, repair, restore, backup, restore and delete database and also drop or empty tables as well as run selected queries. WP-DBManager also supports the automatic scheduling of optimizing, creating backups and repairing database.
Here is a rundown of the simple and easy steps in installing the WP-DBManager into your blog:
- First, open the WP-content/plug-ins folder.
- Encode the folder wp-dbmanager.
- Activate the WP-DBManager plug-in.
- Once you have done this, rename htaccess.txt into .htaccess file in the folder labeled as wp-content/plugins/wp-dbmanager.
- This script will automatically create a folder labeled as “backup-db” in the wp-content folder if it’s writable.
- Afterwards, open the folder “wp-content/backup-db”.
- Move the .htaccess file from the wp-content/plugins/wp-dbmanager folder to the wp-content/backup-db folder.
- Visit the WP-Admin-> Database → DB Options to configure your database options.
Some experts claim that this very powerful plug-in is definitely a must-have for all WordPress users. Created by Lester “Gamerz” Chan, you can download the WP-DBManager from the WordPress site. It is a true life saver once installed because it will begin to backup and optimize your blog’s database just like an auto pilot.
On the other hand, here are some important points that you need to remember in managing your database.
Keep yourself from becoming just another figure in statistics: Before the worse becomes worst, make sure to create backups of your important files. This will save you from a lot of headaches when disaster strikes.
There’s no right time than now: It’s never too late to act and protect your database. It may take you only a few minutes to set the plug-in up but remember, it will be all worth it once you have installed and tested it. At last, you can rely on something to help you avoid losing your database.
Installation is very easy: Simply download your plug-in to the computer and upload it into your WP Admin Panel plug-in directory before activating it.
You need to test the plug-in: With the WordPress Admin Panel, scroll down the options tab and find the WP-DBManager. Create your backup by following the instructions given.
Schedule your backups: Select the “DB Options” from the option menu and scroll down to the bottom of the page. This is where you can set-up your schedules of backups and optimization of your database.
You might encounter some errors along the way: You may experience small errors on the display of posts and on navigation. Sometimes, errors on editing of posts can occur. If these happen, there are two ways to solve the problems.
- Search for your most recent backup of the database and use this to fix your blog or website.
- Search over the Internet for some viable solutions.
About Our Author - Adam Troy
Adam Troy has been involved with Internet Marketing and Search Engine Optimzation (SEO) for 12+ years. Adam has created dozens of niche websites mainly built on the WordPress platform. His main focus is building SEO friendly sites and driving traffic to these blogs.